In order to know what stop hiccups, we first need to know what causes hiccups. Hiccups can be caused by eating too fast, eating too much, drinking too fast or too much – these are the basic reasons. Hiccups can also be caused due to strokes, brain tumors, intoxicating fumes or as reactions to certain medicines. So how can you stop hiccups?
- Eat some sugar – Swallowing a spoonful of sugar is an effective way to stop hiccups. This works because the grains of the sugar irritate the esophagus, which in turns causes the phrenic nerves to reset themselves – and voila no hiccups.
- Drink something sour – Drink a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice. The sourness has a similar effect as the sugar grains. So the next time you’ve got uncontrollable hiccups, reach for something sour.
- Honey it up – Add a teaspoon of honey in lukewarm water and put it teaspoon by teaspoon to the back of your tongue. This basically tickles the vagus nerve which can make the hiccups stop.
- Go for cocoa – Swallowing a spoonful of chocolate powder such as cocoa or hot chocolate can stop hiccups. How can you stop hiccups with chocolate powder, you ask? Supposedly, since it is hard to swallow powder the body focuses on swallowing and stops hiccupping..
- Chew some dill – Chewing some dill seeds had the same effect as honey. It tickles the vagus nerve, which makes the hiccups stop. An easy remedy indeed.
- Drink water from the opposite side – Drinking water from the opposite side of your cup or glass is known to cure hiccups instantly. Drinking water like this causes your abdominal muscles to contract, which in turn stops the hiccups.
- Gorge on peanut butter – We’d recommend the crunchy peanut butter. Basically, while your chewing and swallowing and simultaneously trying to get the peanut butter off your teeth, your breathing process is distorted and this stops the hiccups.
There is no scientific cure for hiccups, so let us know which one of these hiccup tricks worked for you. The next time someone asks you ‘how can you stop hiccups’, you can try out these methods on them and let us know what worked for you.